Just before Tyson turned 2 months old I started to research some of the things he had been doing. When I would feed him he wouldn't always finish his bottles anymore and if you stopped to burp him he would not take the bottle back. I was always torn, try and burp him to help him out or keep feeding him so he would eat more. Then he would start to cry during his bottles and not finish them. He never really spit up at all so I didn't think he had any problems. We tried the sensitive formula to see if that would help him out. At first I didn't see much change so I changed him back to the regular formula. Then he seemed worse so I switched him to the Similac Sensitive vs. the generic brand sensitve. It seemed to help a little at first but then he kept not finishing his bottles and seemed like he was hardly eating anything and was getting dehydrated. So randomly I started to google why he would crank his head back so much. I just figured it was something he liked. I discovered that he had silent reflux. It means that he has acid reflux and it is constantly burning his throat but it wasn't causing him to spit up. That explained why he would crank his head back so much. I watched some videos on you tube of other babies with this problem and saw them doing things that Tyson would do that didn't seem to unusal to me. Also with his really bad skin problems that didn't seem to get better with all of the slew of lotions and different body washes and things that we tried. I started to look into that and thought maybe he had a milk allergy. I started thinking all of this just a few days before he had his 2 month checkup and was worried. I wondered if I should try to get him in early and tell the doctor everything that was going on or just wait. Of course it was the weekend so we waited and it seemed like it took forever for the weekend to be over and I hated feeding him bottles because I felt like it was causing him pain but I didn't want to change anything before I ran it all by his doctor.
Apparently I didn't take a picture on the acutal day he was 2 months but this was just before on 5/15/12 - I know it sounds silly but I do try to take pictures on the actual day
Cranking his head back again and squirming out of his swaddle blanket - I think he squirms because his skin itches so bad because of the eczema - 5/18/12 at 2 months
Nice little sleeping picture - it is funny how they sleep the same!! - 5/18/12
These are his 2 month stats. He weighed 12 lbs 2 ozs which is 50% (average weight) and was 24 1/4" long which is about 80%. At least with all his eating issues he was still growing. At 2 months he was smiling alot and even starting to laugh a little. He would still wake up about once at night around 2 am and then would sleep about 5 hrs and then get up in the morning. He would squirm alot as he slept and when he took baths. I think because his skins was so itchy. I told the dr. all of my concerns and he agreed with me. He prescribed zantac and suggested that we try soy formula. He thought maybe the soy formula would help clear up his skin issues but suggested we have him see a pediatric dermatologist. We did schedule him an appt that was almost 2 months out. More on that later. The dr. did also suggest hydrocortizone cream for his face to see if it would help clear it up. At this point we spent a fortune on so many different lotions. He also said to try some medicated shampoo to help with the cradle cap. Tyson would rub his hair out alot and was clawing the rest of it out and making little bald spots from stratching his head in the back.
Tyson the day of his dr.s appt just after we got back. He was confined to a towel because after he drank his first bottle of soy formula he kept it down almost 3 hrs. He cranked his head back further then I had ever seen and started to jerk his head back and forth. Then he projectile vomitted his bottle back up!! - 5/21/12
I was told by the dr. that the formula change and zantac wouldn't make him better over night. I needed to be patient and give it 2 weeks. It was a long 2 weeks with many calls in to my dr.s office.
No comments:
Post a Comment