Family

Family

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 8 - Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod, MA

We left Boston pretty early and headed to Falmouth, MA and then hopped on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard. It was a slightly overcast and fairly breezy day but it was still beautiful. We rented bikes and rode around the island. I learned very quickly that it had been a long time since I was on a bike. Cody laughed at me as I struggled crossing the street before getting run over by a car. I was trying to get my foot on the pedals but couldn't so I scooted myself quickly across the street in a very unlady like manner. The ironic thing is that Cody did the same thing because he was laughing at me so hard!! Thankfully I never wrecked nor got hit by any cars!!
Shopping area of Martha's Vineyard, MA
We ate at a mexican restaurant for lunch in this shopping area and realized what we already knew was that you don't order Mexican food on the East Coast!!! I wanted to try the shrimp tacos and thought with the mix of seafood that it would be ok. It was not very good and the salsa was basically tomato sauce. It was also odd being served Mexican food by waitresses that had Russian accents.

Gingerbread Cottages in Martha's Vineyard

Riding bikes around Martha's Vineyard
We were able to get a nice little hotel on the water of Cape Cod and for a pretty good price
since we were there just after the summer crowd. I was a little disappointed in Cape Cod. It was still amazing but I had a different idea of how it was going to be. After we checked into our hotel we drove all the way to the tip of Cape Cod. As we were driving I figured that you would be able to see the views all along the coast the whole way down Cape Cod. No, not the case, the road was in the middle and there were high trees on either side. If you wanted to see the sights you had to exit and stop in each town. Here are some of the places we stopped.

Private Beach at our hotel in South Yarmouth Cape Cod, MA


Uncle Tom's Bridge in Wellfleet (Cape Cod, MA)


Only beach free to park at in Cape Cod called Mayo Beach in Wellfleet



This was another annoyance about Cape Cod to go to any beach or pretty area you had to pay to park. Thankfully in my guide book we found Mayo Beach which was free to park at. We saw a few other things you could just pull off the side of the road and check out without having to pay anything. Because by this point of the trip we had paid for a lot of things including parking!!! Apparently New Englanders know they have lots of pretty areas and want to charge you as much as they can for you to see them.
Thankfully my sister had taken a trip to Cape Cod a while ago before Cody and I did. She tipped me off that Provincetown (the tip of Cape Cod) is known for its same sex couples. I guess they like to hang out there and just be free to express themselves. We didn't really go to the shopping or eating areas so it wasn't to bad. There were a few obvious couples and Cody was definitely getting checked out more than I was but it wasn't to crazy! There were some really pretty views and we were wanting to catch the sunset but there were a few clouds in the way.

Cody's gay pose in Provincetown (Cape Cod, MA)


Rocks along water in Provincetown (Cape Cod, MA)

This was the 3rd and thankfully last stop on our rat tour. It definitely was starting to feel like we were on a rat tour of New England. This was my third sighting of rats. Except we aren't just talking one or two. Under these rocks that I am standing on there were tons of rats crawling around. We initially had the thought of walking out on the rocks and then sitting down to watch the sunset but I quickly vetoed that idea after seeing about 4 or 5 rats!! Once I had spotted the rats I let everyone we passed know about them and I am sure they were real appreciative of that!
Highland Lighthouse in Truro (Cape Cod, MA)
We saw a lighthouse near Provincetown that we tried to figure out how to get to but couldn't. Thankfully we had our guide book and were able to easily get out to this one in another area. Another bonus it was free to park at!!!!

After we got back to our hotel we enjoyed the hot tub and then I came up with a brillant idea. I told Cody that we needed to get in the Atlantic Ocean. We came up with a plan and then almost chickened out. I figured that there would be lights or something on the private beach area at night but there wasn't. We ran out into the ocean and did not go out as far as planned since the seaweed was making us nervous since we had recently heard about shark sightings. We at least got in the water and sat down. So hey, we took a dip in the Atlantic Ocean. A few people were walking their dogs along the beach and I am sure thought we were completely crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment